Planning & Development
[ About The Government Procurement Assistance Program ]
[ Procurement Technical Assistance Center ]
[ Partners ]
[ 2015 Activities ] [ Success Story ]
About The Government Procurement Assistance Program
SPC’s Government Procurement Assistance program helps hundreds of companies in the region with their efforts to market to and contract with federal, state and local government agencies. SPC provides one-on-one counseling and training with an emphasis on small businesses with minority, female or service-disabled veteran owners to help facilitate their participation in the government marketplace.
Click here to download a PDF flyer about the Government Procurement Assistance Program (291 KB).
Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
SPC’s Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
helps companies to enter and succeed in the world of
government contracting. Along with technical assistance, SPC provides
companies with immediate alerts on solicitations that are issued for their particular
products or services.
On any given day there may be 2,000 or more solicitations
that SPC sorts through and passes on to client companies
at no charge. PTAC helps companies gain knowledge of
standards and how to comply. In addition, PTAC provides
the personalized technical assistance on bidding procedures
and regulations that must be met when selling to the
government. The one-on-one support PTAC offers is
instrumental for small companies that are new to the
government procurement process.
PTAC services include:
- Daily electronic bid matching
- Access to military and federal specifications
- Publication library of the Federal Acquisition Regulations and federal agency regulations
- Comprehensive contact lists
- Government e-commerce
- Bid and proposal preparation
- GSA Multiple Award Schedules
- Contract histories
[ top ]
SPC shares a Department of Defense (DOD) Cooperative Agreement Grant with Indiana University of Pennsylvania that enables maximum effectiveness with limited resources. In 2015, the following organizations assisted in our Government Procurement Assistance program:
- Department of Defense (DOD)
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- Minority Purchasing Council
- Minority Business Opportunity Committee
- PA Department of General Services
- PA Department of Community and Economic Development
- Local Small Business Development Centers
- Department of Energy (DOE)
[ top ]
In 2015, SPC took part in 21 programs offering opportunities for local businesses to increase sales through participation in the government marketplace. By collaborating with other business development organizations, SPC is able to provide greater service to individual businesses across the region.
Benefits to the region in 2015:
- Counselors participated in 622 business counseling sessions with 131 unique clients totaling more than 430 direct counseling hours, increasing their understanding of the government marketplace and the bid process to win government opportunities.
- Client businesses won 37 government contracts with a value of over $191 million.
- Initial inquiries were responded to from 62 companies for specific information to evaluate their potential in the government marketplace.
- Client businesses that received government contracts in 2015 are credited with the creation or retention of 3,798 jobs in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
[ top ]
Water Treatment Services (WTS), Inc., is a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business located in Wendel, PA, Westmoreland County and has been an SPC PTAC client since 2014. WTS has been in business for 10 years and provides customized chemical delivery programs to protect one of the world’s most important resources: our water supply.
WTS is an industry-leading supplier of custom-blended chemicals and chemical feeding equipment. They provide consultation services for state and federal environmental permit requirements, as well as staffing services for various industrial facilities including the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities and cooling towers. WTS has had many local successes in and around the Pittsburgh area including working with the Homer City Generation Station and the Cheswick Power Plant.
SPC worked with WTS to assist them with their federal registrations and to help them get certified with the Department of Veterans Affairs as a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business. SPC then worked with WTS on an aggressive marketing plan for federal government agencies and also helped them develop a custom BidMatch search profile to enable them to more easily find relevant government solicitations to pursue.
WTS received their first federal contract in September 2015 from the VA Medical Center in Wilmington, DE. They have since been awarded multiple federal contracts from the VA, the Navy, and the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing. As of December 2015, Water Treatment Services, Inc.’s federal government sales have totaled more than $1 million since joining SPC’s PTAC program in 2014.
[ top ]
The SPC's Government Procurement Assistance Program, which operates as a Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC), is funded in part through a cooperative agreement from the Department of Defense (DOD) through a program that is administered by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). The content of any written materials or verbal communications of the PTAC does not necessarily reflect the official views of or imply endorsement by DOD or DLA.
[ top ]
For more information about our Government Procurement
program, contact Dave Pinkosky at (412) 391-5590 x308 or e-mail PTAC@spcregion.org.
[ top ]