[ Regional Planning Interns ] [ Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst ]
Regional Planning Interns
The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission is the official Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the ten-county region including the City of Pittsburgh and the counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington and Westmoreland.
SPC is seeking interns (May-August) for various transportation planning/communications projects including traffic counting, transport modeling, data collection, database development -data analysis and related activities. Communications projects will include social media management, graphic design work, email marketing management, administrative support, multimedia support, photo and video editing, website maintenance and public meeting assistance to support the development of the new long range plan, Smart Moves.
The work environment will vary for different projects. Most positions will include both indoor and outdoor assignments. Interns will be assigned to one primary project area depending on their interests and aptitudes:
- Traffic Data Collection (primarily outdoor work);
- Transportation Models & Data Analysis (primarily indoor work);
- Communications Department (primarily indoor work)
Interns may be asked to assist with projects outside their primary project areas. Preferred candidates would be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in Geography, Planning, Civil Engineering, Information Science, Data Analytics, communications, public relations, journalism or a related field. Access to a vehicle for in-region travel and a valid driver's license will be required for some positions.
Hourly rate is $13.00. Travel will be reimbursed at the federal mileage rate of $0.58/mile.
Email response preferred. Send letter of interest and resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Two Chatham Center, Suite 500, 112 Washington Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15219-3451.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst
Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission seeks a Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst to assist in the development, and distribution of geospatial data, applications and associated products for the SPC’s 10-county regional GIS. The position will support the various transportation and economic development planning, projects and programs at SPC.
- Create, modify, maintain, and analyze geospatial datasets.
- Perform spatial analysis for reports, graphics, and maps in support of projects and programs.
- Review existing and incoming data for currency, accuracy, usefulness, and quality
- Design and develop standard procedures for converting and documenting geospatial data.
- Design and develop high quality cartographic products.
- Design and implement web maps in collaboration with agency staff.
- Meet with internal users and data partners as assigned to define data needs, project requirements, and required end products.
- Design and edit custom queries, scripts and other methods to meet user needs
- Provides additional data collection through the Global Positioning System (GPS) when required
- All other duties as assigned by Supervisor/Manager.
- Requires Bachelor’s Degree in GIS / Geography, Planning, or other closely related field.
- At least 6 months of direct experience working with ESRI GIS software.
- Experience and/or training in cartography, remote sensing, and map analysis.
- Must have exceptional communication, organization, and analytical skills.
- Must have computer skills including proficiency in conducting data analysis
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Pro applications a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience/qualifications.
Email confidential resume to: email@example.com
[ top ]